Maynooth is one of the oldest clubs in the country and hurling was first played as far back as 1875, nine years before the founding of the GAA in 1884.
Maynooth traditionally wearing green, orange and black, were recorded as playing Straffan on 13 March 1887, a game that may not have been the first between the teams. Maynooth were semi-finalists in the very first championship, and won their first Kildare Championship in 1896.
The team captain that year was Domhnall ua Buachalla, who subsequently took part in the 1916 rising and afterwards was sent to Knitsford Jail and Frangoch Camp. He was elected to the first Dail in 1918 and he was the last Governor-General of Ireland.
The Maynooth club jersey (black with a white sash) originated from a tragic accident in 1889. A young Maynooth player, Thomas Cullen died after an accidental blow to the head playing against Monastrevin. At the time Maynooth had played 70 matches against teams from Dublin, Louth, Meath, and Kildare, and lost only ten of them.
The motto Crom Abú originated from the war cry of the Fitzgerald family. Croom is a castle in Co. Limerick which formerly belonged to the FitzGeralds. "Abfi" means 'to victory', 'for ever' or literally 'defying' . This is one of the many Irish gathering cries, the use of which was forbidden by repeated Acts of Parliament. The Geraldines of Maynooth retained the motto but were forced by an Act of Parliament to change the motto to "Si Dieu plet Crom Abu". Maynooth GAA have retained the original version which means:- Maynooth to Victory.